Kangaroo customers throughout North Carolina and South Carolina have been visiting their local Kangaroo stores to voice their concern over working conditions in NC tobacco fields, and to call on Kangaroo to meet with concerned consumers and then convey their concerns to Reynolds.
Consumers have been delivering letters to the store managers, asking them to pass the letter on to Kangaroo headquarters. The letter has three simple asks: 1. Respond to Beloved Community Center’s letter about the community’s concern for tobacco farmworkers and meet with consumers regarding human rights violations in the tobacco fields. 2. Visit labor camps in North Carolina this summer 3. Send an attached letter to Reynolds American CEO Daniel Delen.
Kangaroo has yet to do any of the things consumers have requested. Check out all of the ways consumers are keeping the pressure on Kangaroo!
- Triangle Friends of Farmworkers organizing monthly actions at local Kangaroo store
- Consumers visit Kangaroo Headquarters to demand rights for tobacco farmworkers. March 1, 2013
- Greensboro, NC rally at Kangaroo. September 26, 2013
- Consumers rally at Kangaroo stores around NC on International Human Rights Day. December 8, 2012
- Watch the video! YAYA and LCLAA allies deliver letter to Kangaroo store in Florida. July 2012
- Farmworkers deliver 5,000 letters to Kangaroo in Charlotte, NC
- NC AFL-CIO and SC AFL-CIO pass resolutions in support of FLOC campaign and take action at Kangaroo stores